If you have a CLP meeting coming up, please consider using this model motion.
Suggested Model Motion of Support for CLPs
This branch/CLP believes:
- that being a Labour MP should not be a job for life;
- that candidates should be selected openly without restrictions before each general election;
- that all individual and affiliate members should be able to participate in the selection of candidates;
- that the existing system of trigger ballots prevents this from happening and creates unnecessary antagonisms, turning what should be a normal open process into an implied vote of no confidence in a sitting Labour MP;
- that a fully democratised Labour Party based on the principle of One Member One Vote is the best way to ensure the election of a Labour government with the strength and resolve to create a fair and just society for the many, not the few.
Therefore this branch/CLP:
- resolves to support the Labour International CLP rule change motion to party conference 2018, calling for Open Selection of MPs;
- agrees to make a donation of xxx to Labour International CLP's campaign fund;
- calls upon the NEC to endorse and support the LI Rule Change motion;